Not only adults, today's technology has become so accessible that Children are also allowed to access certain features of it such as playing games, scrolling up and down or being engaged in various apps. This often results in harming their communication and emotional improvement. Tristram Hunt, the shadow education secretary, comments that iPhones are ruining children's ability to communicate. His this comment follows warnings from leading academics that mobile should come with health warnings.
Fault Of ‘Poor Parenting
Now what causes this situation to become so grave? The reason for this present problem, according to Tristram Hunt, is the sheer negligence of the parents towards understanding the importance and needs for their children’s psychological development. Children get the access to use the smartphones initially from their parents, who are failing to understand the basic requirement of a child’s psychological improvement especially his/her emotional progress than the knowledge of using smartphones. Hunt says,
“Academics are all too aware of how crucial the 0-5 years age bracket is for the intellectual and emotional development of children. Not nearly enough parents are. Nursery rhymes and fairy tales might be less interesting than Instagram, but a child's long-term success can depend on them.”
Worries of the Academics
The academic professionals especially the primary teachers express their grave concerns regarding children's excessive usage of smartphones. The problems, that they are facing, are -
- The features of their speech and language skills are greatly being harmed.
- In disadvantaged communities, children’s ability to talk, play and to interact are weaker than normal.
- It creates a communicational gap between the children and their parents.
- It hinders the emotional development of a child.
However, there are various ways which can effectively help children to come out of this addiction. But the parents have to take the initial step in order to secure their children’s future. Let's see what are the ways to prevent such addiction.
Parents have to identify and understand exactly what kind of harmful effect does the smartphone have over the child psychology.
- Parents have to identify and understand exactly what kind of harmful effect does the smartphone have over the child psychology.
- They need to spend more time with their children, building a more steady emotional relationship with their children.
- Parents have to become much more aware regarding their children’s psychological health.
- Proper understanding about the correct activities at a certain age of children is indeed very crucial.
Better Understanding: Healthier Children
So it can be clearly understood that the permission of the parents is the only passage or link by which children are getting access towards smartphones. Unknowingly, they not only harm their mind but also block the bright possibilities of their future life. If parents take the initial step then the result will be seen in their healthy mind and a more steady relationship with their parents. The use of proper culture instead of money can be able to help the parents. Hunt rightly says “Poor parents are often themselves victims of poor parenting. Most likely, they don't understand the cumulative impact on scrolling down their smartphone rather than engaging with their 6 month old.”